Offshore Jurisdictions in the Spotlight: A Comparative View
James Collins QC
Essex Court Chambers (UK)
Holland and Knight (USA)
Mizrachi Davarro & Urriola (Panama)
This session will compare and contrast selected offshore jurisdictions and how their legal frameworks can assist with or hinder a fraud investigation.
- Piercing the corporate veil/alleging alter ego in cases of fraud – recourse to the civil and criminal courts
- Could a discovery request for a United Statesincorporated company extend to its BVI, Cayman or Panamanian holding company for documents that are in its possession?
- Pre-litigation discovery in respect of offshore disputes
- Appointment of Liquidators and Receivers – and obtaining recognition of these appointments abroad – the latest on cross-border insolvency recognition
- Debate – the future for offshore jurisdictions